The Swiss based Sturdza Private Banking Group’s asset management arm, E.I. Sturdza Strategic Management Limited is celebrating its 10th anniversary on the Island. At almost the same time the company’s Strategic Europe Value Fund has recently reached its 5th anniversary and the Morningstar five-star rated Fund is ranked 1st in its peer group for performance over 3 and 5 years, thanks to its consistent and stunning outperformance of the European stock index.
The company launched its first Guernsey B Scheme, the Nippon Growth Fund, in August 2001 and established a presence in Guernsey in 2005 with Managing Director Georges Gutmans leading the Company. Headcount has grown significantly over the years and the Company now employs 21 staff in Guernsey.
In 2008 the Company set up a UCITS umbrella fund structure, the EI Sturdza Funds plc in Dublin, in response to regulatory changes pertaining to how funds were marketed to European investors and taking advantage of the associated European passporting. Today the Company manages over US $2.8 billion.
Uniquely, EI Sturdza’s business model is to work with specialist dedicated investment advisers who are leaders in their field. The partnership, on an exclusive basis results in EI Sturdza providing all infrastructure, administration, risk control, compliance and marketing, while the Investment Advisor owns his/her own Company, providing an ideal environment for delivering class leading returns to our investors. It allows the Investment Adviser to fully focus on the areas which deliver the greatest benefits to the fund; research, asset allocation and portfolio construction, without the distraction of bureaucracy associated with larger firms or continuous meetings. This structure also removes the all too common centralized investment view, which can constrain a manager’s ability to fully pursue their investment thesis.
‘We chose Guernsey as the location for the investment funds business because of the jurisdiction’s unique combination of funds expertise, locally available talent, reputation, fund structures and the regulatory and legal environment,’ explains Georges Gutmans, Managing Director of E.I. Sturdza Strategic Management Limited.
- In 2014 E.I. Sturdza was awarded Best Small Equity Manager in Austria, Germany and Europe by Lipper™ for fund performance over three years.
- A number of the Company’s funds are four or five-star rated by Morningstar including the Strategic US Momentum & Value Fund, Strategic Europe Value Fund and Strategic China Panda Fund, recognising their performance records as part of the top tier of global, long-only mutual funds.
- Willem Vinke, who manages the Strategic Europe Value Fund, is currently AAA rated by Citywire while Lilian Co, who manages the Strategic China Fund holds a Citywire Plus rating.
- The firm’s impressive performance in the European equity field has been recognised by Citywire with the Company being Platinum rated, putting it in the top 2% of all managers in this category, which is a notable achievement.
- In addition EI Sturdza has been short listed by Funds Europe in their 2015 awards, with the winners to be announced on 26.11.15 within the European Asset Management Firm of the Year with less than €20bn AUM category.
Eric Sturdza, President of the Sturdza Private Banking Group, comments: ‘We specialise in uncovering high-value added, alpha-focused, high conviction investment strategies. This, alongside our innovative management model, which enables our portfolio managers to perform at their best, has helped to drive our success over the last 10 years.
‘The Guernsey finance industry continues to thrive and develop its reputation internationally as a finance centre. We look forward to the next 10 years of growth in the island.’